Motivation, Perspective and Change

I'm not exactly sure what made me say "yes" to running a 10 mile race the very next morning, without training.  I assume it had to do with one main thing - Motivation.

My good friend Antho was convincing as he spoke about an upcoming ten mile race.  He made mention of the adrenaline buzz coursing through the veins of all the runners, so intense you can't help but notice it upon your arrival to the starting line.  He talked of an overwhelming feeling upon crossing the finish line — realizing you gave it your all. He topped it off by explaining the self-esteem boost you get after finishing such a distance that caries you throughout the next week.  Being a runner in Jr. High and my Freshman year of High School, I knew, to some small degree, what he was talking about.

Antho's pre-race pep-talk was able to motivate me enough to get me through one race but then what? Sadly our motivation to stay in shape doesn't stay at a consistent 100%.  Heck, if it stayed at 75%, I would be much more productive.  But something happened during that race, my perspective changed.  What I mean by this, is that I saw a lot of disadvantages of how my physical well-being was at that time... I saw how out-of-shape I really was.  Instead of finishing with the rest of the 24 year olds, or even mid-pack, I finished in the back with, well... the people who finish in the back.

My new perspective of myself as an out-of-shape wimp isn't what has kept me running, it is a desire to improve, to push myself beyond what I think is actually possible.  My perspective now is that we can do a lot more than we can really imagine, if we just go for it.  You know, Nike, Just Do It.  This perspective fuels my motivation and pushes me to change every day.

 (Antho and I after finishing the Des Plaines Trail Marathon)

These principles apply to running and getting into shape.  But they also apply to just about anything we see as a challenge in our lives.  For me, running has shown me a way to meet those challenges more confidently. 

If you are taking a look at your life and see areas that you would like to change, ask yourself the following questions:
-What are the disadvantages of the way things are?
-What are the advantages of doing things differently?
-What do you see as barriers to getting where you want to go?
-What personal strengths do you have that can help you succeed?

Forget the "how," allow yourself to daydream about advancements in your well-being, the how will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment